Station opened - 1st November 1860. (As Sturminster Marshall)
Bailey Gate - November 1863
Station closed to goods - 5th April 1965.
Station closed to passengers - 7th March 1966.
Grid Ref: 195 SY 949995
|Originally named Sturminster Marshall after the
village it served just to the north of the station, the name was
changed to Bailey Gate in November 1863 when the line was
extended to Sturminster Newton,
this was to avoid the obvious confusion between the two similar
names, although the signs read "Bailey Gate for Sturminster
The station had two platforms and numerous sidings, some of which served the local dairy situated just to the north of the station. The main station buildings were located on the down platform, with only a small wooden waiting shelter on the up. The two platforms were linked by a wooden foot crossing at the western end of the station.
The station and goods sidings were controlled from a 24 lever wooden signal box at the western end of the station.
Until the signal box was built at Corfe Mullen Junction in 1905, Bailey Gate was the junction for Wimborne and Broadstone trains, with the Wimborne trains taking the Down line and Broadstone trains the Up line at the crossover at the eastern end of the platforms, running parallel until the tracks divided at Corfe Mullen Junction.
PLAN OF BAILEY GATE STATION 1955
Grid Ref: 195 SY 969986
Bailey Gate Crossing signal box was situated approx 1.5 miles East of the station and controlled a busy crossing on the main A31 Dorchester to Wimborne road.
This crossing was originally controlled by a
gate-keeper who lived in the adjacent house. in 1905 when the line to
Blandford was doubled, the 14 lever brick and
timber signal box was built.
In 1915 two ‘Admiralty Sidings’ were built on the down side of the line. just to the East of the crossing, the old box being used to store the keys.
Being very close to the River Stour the area to the west of the crossing was liable to flooding, and sometimes this would wash the track ballast away.
Copyright © Kevin Clapcott
Most recent revision Friday August 10, 2007