Station opened - 17th May 1870. (As Bath Queen Square)
Bath Green Park - 18 June 1951
Station closed - 7 March 1966
Goods depot closed - 31 May 1971
Grid Ref: 172 ST 745648
|Originally named Bath Queen Square, the terminus was
the end of a 10 mile long branch belonging to the Midland Railway from
Mangotsfield, on the North eastern outskirts of Bristol.
After the opening of the northern extension of the S&D line from Evercreech Junction, the Somerset & Dorset were granted full running powers for working over the last half mile of this line from Bath Junction into Queen Square Station.
station had four roads, with the outer two each having a platform. The
entire width of the lines and platforms were covered by an arched glass
roof complete with fully glazed end screens, this was approximately half
the length of the platforms. On the northern side of the station there
was a horse and carriage dock, along with a couple of short sidings, one
being used by HM Customs.
For more details of the
Grid Ref: 172 ST 741648
Just to the west of the station, the other side of the bridge carrying the four lines over the River Avon (Bridge No.44), was the motive power depot and running shed. This was quite a large complex containing both the S&D and Midland Railway sheds. The S&D shed, built of timber in 1874/75 originally contained two roads. It was doubled in width to 60 feet to accommodate four roads in 1878. Later in 1884 it was lengthened to about 300 feet, and could accommodate up to 18 locomotives. The Midland shed was a stone built structure erected in 1869/70, much smaller in size with just two roads.
In 1878 there was a 46 foot turntable on a separate
road to the western end of the sheds, this was shared by both companies.
In 1934 a new 60 foot turntable was installed, situated on the approach
to the ex Midland shed, which since 1930 was being used mainly for major
repairs, with the larger S&D building used as a running shed.
To the south of the shed area, on the southern side of the running lines was a goods yard, consisting of a fairly large goods shed, a grain depot, coal yard, and a cattle dock.
The station, shed area and goods sidings were controlled from a 40 lever signal box, situated just south of the main line facing the S&D engine shed to the north and the goods shed and sidings to the south.
Plan of the Bath area
Grid Ref: 172 ST 738648
Bath Junction was situated half a mile west of Green Park Station and this is where the Somerset & Dorset line officially started. The line curved away from the main line, almost doubling back on itself and climbing up the steep 1 in 50 incline towards Combe Down tunnel about two mile down the line. Most down freight trains were banked up this steep climb to the summit.
In latter years the junction was controlled by a 38 lever signal box located to the north of the main Midland line, just east of the S&D junction. This box was brought into use on the 13th of April 1924, replacing two earlier boxes. The first located 200 feet to the west of the new one, with the second smaller box on the northern side of the S&D line at the junction of the single section towards Midford.
Copyright © Kevin Clapcott
Most recent revision Friday August 10, 2007