Station opened - 21st July 1890 (As Bridgwater)
Bridgwater North - 26th September 1949
Station closed to passengers - 1st December 1952
Station closed to S&D goods - 4th October 1954
Goods yard closed to G.W.R. goods - 7th July 1962
Grid Ref: 182 ST 304376
|This short seven and a quarter mile branch from
Edington Junction was built by the Bridgwater Railway Company, the line
being leased by the S&D until 1923 when the line lost its independence and
became part of the S&D system.
The station had an island platform, half of its length covered with a canopy, with lines either side giving two platforms. The station area included a large goods yard with a brick goods shed, cattle pens and a coal office. From the goods yard sidings a half mile branch curved sharply North to the nearby wharves on the bank of the River Parrett. These wharves stopped being used just after the First World War, and the rails were lifted in 1942 during the Second World War for the scrap metal. Immediately to the South of the station was the G.W.R. goods line from the nearby G.W.R. Bristol to Taunton main line leading to the docks on the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal. After the S&D line closed a siding was extended to join this branch, connecting the ex S&D goods yard to the G.W.R. system and this was in use until July 1962, with the branch line finally closing on the 2nd of January 1967.
Just to the West of the goods yard was a fifty foot turntable on the approach to a single road engine shed. This was lengthened in 1898 to enable it to store the two loco's needed to work the branch. This had the usual coal and water facilities. This shed was no longer used from 1922, when the locomotives for the branch were provided by Templecombe Shed. In 1928 the now empty shed was leased to the local Co-op for storage.
The station area was controlled by a 17 lever signal box situated next to the level crossing, just to the north at the throat of the station and goods yard. The crossing gates being worked by hand.
Between Bridgwater and Bawdrip Halt was the 'Wilds Cement Works'. This was served by a short spur on the down side of the line and consisted of four short sidings.
Copyright © Kevin Clapcott
Most recent revision Friday August 10, 2007