Station opened - 1st June 1847 as Broadstone.
New Poole Junction - Dec 1872
Poole Junction - Jan 1876
Poole Junction & Broadstone - July 1883
Broadstone & New Poole Junction - Jan 1887
Broadstone Junction - Feb 1889
Broadstone (Dorset) - July 1929
Broadstone - 1956
Station closed to goods - October 1965
Station closed to passengers - March 1966
S&D line downgraded to a siding - July 1966 and closed Jan 1969
Grid Ref: 195 SZ 004959
|Broadstone, as it was originally named, Opened
to passengers in June 1847 under the LSWR. It was on the 2nd of
December 1872 that the first Somerset & Dorset trains ran into
The large station consisted of four long platforms, access to them being provided by a covered footbridge. There was a goods shed, coal hoppers and various sidings at the northern end of the station.
The station buildings were mainly timber covered brick structures, and were of fairly uninspiring design with rather tall chimneys. The main buildings being on the up-main platform, with a couple of small offices on the middle platform.
The station was controlled by a LSWR 33 lever signal box (32 levers after the second world war) situated at the northern end of the station just before the throat of the junction with the S&D line from Corfe Mullen.
Broadstone was officially the end of the line for the Somerset & Dorset Railway - all 63 miles, 6 chains and 35 links of it from Bath Junction, with trains having running powers over the LSWR metals into Poole, Bournemouth and the line towards Wimborne.
Copyright © Kevin Clapcott
Most recent revision Friday August 10, 2007