Cole

Station opened - 3rd February 1862

Station closed to passenger traffic - 7th March 1966
Station closed to goods traffic - 5th April 1965

Grid ref: 183 ST 671334

The station was originally built and opened under the Dorset Central Railway, and was the Northern most point of the line before its linking to the Somerset Central in February 1862. The station nameboards read ' Cole For Bruton' , making reference to the nearby larger town of Bruton. The station consisted of two platforms, the stone built station buildings being on the down platform with no canopy. There was a wooden shelter on the up side. Just to the North of the station the line to Evercreech crossed the five arched Cole Viaduct and just a bit further on, the line then crossed the G.W.R. main Westbury to Taunton line.

There was a small goods yard consisting of three sidings just to the south of the station on the down side, one of which led to a small goods shed. The yard closed on the 5th of April 1965

44422 at Cole
0-6-0 No.44422 enters Cole on a Bath to Templecombe service - July 1959

The station area was controlled by a small 14 lever wooden signal box situated at the Southern end of the up platform. The box closed on the 31st of May 1965, shortly after the goods yard closed.

[Back to Map] [Back To List] [Back To Somerset & Dorset Main Page]

Copyright © Kevin Clapcott
Most recent revision Friday August 10, 2007