Corfe Mullen Halt

Station opened - 5th July 1928.
Station closed to passengers - 19th September 1956

Grid Ref: 195 SY 995984

Corfe Mullen Halt was built for the residents of East End, a small residential area of Corfe Mullen. Situated approx 1.5 miles to the north west of Broadstone, it consisted of a short single platform, lit by a single gas lamp located at the western end of the platform. A small concrete waiting shelter was provided for the waiting passengers, this being partially cut into the bank.
It was located on the southern side of the line in a cutting, being reached from the adjacent Wimborne Road bridge by a fairly steep flight of steps.
The station remained open for only 28 years, closing in 1956.
The cutting between Wimborne Road and Lambs Green Lane has since been partially filled in and is now the front garden of a house.

4F 44561 at Corfe Mullen

4F No.44561 approaching Corfe Mullen - October 1961.

(64k)

Corfe Mullen jcn

Grid Ref: 195 SY 978983

(Originally known as Knoll Lane, or Barney's Crossing)

Approx 1.5 miles west of Corfe Mullen Halt, the single line from Broadstone joined the original line to Wimborne at Corfe Mullen Junction.
This junction, along with a couple of sidings for the adjacent water pumping station, quarry, and also a set of road crossing gates, was controlled by a 24 lever signal box which was opened in 1905, and was closed in May 1968. This junction enabled the section between here and Bailey Gate to be operated as a true double line, because trains no longer had to change lines for the Wimborne and Broadstone spurs at Bailey Gate Station, two miles further up the line.

76026 at Corfe Mullen

Class 4 No. 76026 at Corfe Mullen Junction in 1966.

(50k)

The line to Wimborne was eventually closed in 1933, becoming a long siding (Carters Siding). This siding was closed in September of 1959, becoming a storage line for old B.R. wagons until 1969.

Just half a mile west of this junction was Bailey Gate Crossing. See the Bailey Gate page for more information on this junction.

[Back to Map] [Back To List] [Back To Somerset & Dorset Main Page]

Copyright © Kevin Clapcott
Most recent revision Friday January 23, 2009