Pylle

Station opened - 3rd February 1862

Station unstaffed from - 4th November 1957
Station closed to goods traffic - 10th June 1963
Station closed to passenger traffic - 7th March 1966

Grid ref: 183 ST 618389

Pylle station was the first stop on the Evercreech Junction to Burnham branch. The station boasted two platforms with a passing loop, both having rather attractive stone built buildings. On the up platform at the Evercreech end of the station was the station building. at the other end of the platform was a brick & timber signal box. The down platform had a rather unusual combined stone built Station Masters house and Goods Shed, taking up approximately half the length of the platform.
To the rear of the down platform was a single siding with a head shunt, this led into the goods shed and served a cattle dock. The siding was closed in 1963. Road access to the goods shed was via a level crossing at the Eastern end of the platform, the gates being worked by hand.
In November of 1957 the station became unstaffed.

The station area was controlled by the 17 lever signal box, which in 1929 was closed when the passing loop and down platform was taken out of use. The box however remained in use as a ground frame controlling the access into the goods siding.

[Back to Map] [Back To List] [Back To Somerset & Dorset Main Page]

Copyright © Kevin Clapcott
Most recent revision Friday August 10, 2007