Station opened - 20th July 1874. (As Radstock)
Radstock North - 26 September 1949
Station closed to passengers - 7 March 1966
Station closed to public goods - 15th June 1964
Grid Ref: 172 & 183 ST 689550
|Originally named Radstock, the station was adjacent to
the G.W.R. station, Radstock South. The station was later re-named Radstock
North in September of 1949.
There was no direct physical connection between the two stations until closure of the S&D in 1966, when a short spur was installed just south of the station, linking the two lines. This was to enable coal traffic to continue between Writhlington and Portishead.
Class '5' 2-6-0 73047 heading north through
The station area was quite extensive, consisting of a two road engine shed, with coaling and water facilities, a goods shed, cattle pens and a wagon works. To the east of the main station and shed area was also the premises of The British Wagon Company Wagon Works (Formerly Wheeler & Gregory Wagon Works) and a timber yard.
The station and yard area was controlled by two signal boxes. These were originally named 'Radstock East' (17 levers) and 'Radstock West' (32 levers). In 1951 they were re-named Radstock North 'A' and Radstock North 'B' respectively. The North 'B' box also controlled the level crossing to the west of the station. In August 1964 the North 'A' box was closed. The North 'B' box was then re-named 'Radstock North'.
East of the station there was a connection to Ludlow
Colliery, which closed in 1950. This line also connected to the G.W.R. and
until 1966 when the spur was put in to the south of Radstock station this
was the only connection between the two companies lines. There was also a
line to Tyning Colliery. This was a private tramway, crossing the S&D main
line and leading into the G.W.R. yard. Although the colliery closed in 1909
the line was still used for access to the waste tip until 1954.
Situated approximately halfway between Radstock and
Shoscombe & Single Hill Halt , was a junction leading south to the
Colliery at Lower Writhlington. The junction was controlled by Writhlington
signal box. The orignal box was opened in May 1875 and was originally named
'Foxcote', with a new 19 lever box being built and opened in 1894.
For information on Norton Hill Colliery
see the Midsomer Norton page
Copyright © Kevin Clapcott
Most recent revision Friday August 10, 2007