Sturminster Newton

Station opened - 31st August 1863

Station closed to goods traffic - 5th April 1965
Station closed to passenger traffic - 7th March 1966

Grid Ref: 194 ST 789141

Situated approximately halfway along the single line section between Templecombe and Blandford, Sturminster Newton had two platforms built on a passing loop. The platforms were staggered slightly, with an unusual 'dip' halfway along the up platform, this was to enable passengers and staff to cross over to the end of the down platform opposite on a wooden level crossing, as there was no footbridge provided.
The main station buildings were located on the up platform, a wooden shelter with a small canopy being provided on the down platform.
Behind the down platform was an extensive goods yard consisting of many sidings and associated buildings, including cattle dock, pig pens, stables, milk depot, goods shed and offices. Access to the sidings was from both ends of the down platform passing loop.

Sturminster Newton
34043 in charge of the down 'Pines Express' - 1st Sept 1962
The 'dip' in the platform is just visible, in line with the tender.

The whole area was controlled from a wooden signal box containing 16 levers situated at the Eastern end of the up platform.

Links:

For information on Sturminster Newton Museum & Mill

The Sturminster Newton OPC project, set up to make information about the parish freely available for the benefit of people researching their family history.

 

[Back to Map] [Back To List] [Back To Somerset & Dorset Main Page]

Copyright © Kevin Clapcott
Most recent revision Friday August 10, 2007