wpennard.gif (1318 bytes)

Station opened - 3rd February 1862

Station closed to goods traffic - 10th June 1963
Station closed to passenger traffic - 7th March 1966
(Unstaffed from 25th June 1962)

Grid Ref: 182 ST 568395

The station was situated approximately two miles from the village, built almost at the bottom of a long 4 mile,  gradient from Pylle station.
On the up platform was a high roofed stone built building containing the booking office, staff rooms and passenger waiting room.
The Northern, down platform was shorter than the up and had a large wooden shelter. At the Pylle end of this platform was a large stone built goods shed with a siding running right through it at the rear of the platform. Behind the goods shed was the goods yard area and another siding. There were also sidings at the Western end of the station.
The Station Masters house was located at the end of a short pathway just behind the signal box at the Western end of the up platform
In June 1962 the station was unstaffed.

3206 leaving West Pennard

No.3206 departing for Evercreech Junction - Nov 1962

The station area was controlled by a 23 lever signal box, the base being built of stone with a timber top section. The box was closed on the 26th of August 1964, when the goods shed loop and sidings were all taken out of use.
There was a level crossings at the Eastern end of the platforms, this was for access into the goods yard and being worked by hand.

[Back to Map] [Back To List] [Back To Somerset & Dorset Main Page]

Copyright © Kevin Clapcott
Most recent revision Friday August 10, 2007