Station opened - November 1861
Station closed to goods traffic - 5th April 1965
Station closed to passenger traffic - 7th March 1966
Grid Ref: 183 ST 710282
|The station was originally opened under the control of
the Dorset Central Railway in November of 1861, consisting of two staggered
platforms, the Western up platform being about twice the length of the down.
Access between the platforms being provided originally by an iron
footbridge, which was later replaced by the Southern Railway with a concrete
The main station buildings were located on the smaller down platform, being built of stone with a small wooden canopy.
On the up platform there was a small wooden waiting shelter.
A fairly large goods yard was located at the Southern end of the station behind the down platform. In the yard were numerous sidings which saw a lot of horse box traffic in connection with the nearby race course. There were also cattle pens, loading docks and in 1933 a milk depot was built with two private sidings for Cow & Gate.
The goods shed had a line running through forming a passing loop with the down line. The shed had a 30cwt crane inside with a larger 7 ton unit being located outside to the South.
View of station and goods shed looking north towards cole
The station area was controlled by a 14 lever signal box situated in the middle of the up platform, this being elevated to clear the waiting shelter canopy roof alongside it.
|For more information on Wincanton and the surrounding
visit the Wincanton Somerset UK Links Page - part of the Lowther family web site.
Copyright © Kevin Clapcott
Most recent revision Friday August 10, 2007