Broadstone to Poole & Bournemouth
The line is 'up' to Poole & Bournemouth
From Broadstone, S&D trains were on L&SWR metals, and all trains took the original (western) platforms and ran down through Creekmoor and Hamworthy Junction to Poole. The original station at Poole in the early days of the line was actually at Hamworthy on the opposite side of the Quay. This line is still used as a goods line and the original station building is still standing alongside the car ferry berth.
From 1874 the new direct line to the new Poole station was opened and S&D trains were sent into the new (eastern) platforms at Broadstone for the direct line down to Poole and on to Bournemouth West.
All trains called by obligation at Poole, where there were
two level crossings immediately to the south of the station within a few
yards of each other. Shortly after the sharp curve out of Poole with the
local gas works on the down (southern) side, the line started the steep 1 in
60 climb of Parkstone Bank, with the waters of Parkstone Bay to the south
and the park boating lake to the north, the line then entered a cutting and
shortly arrived at Parkstone station where the gradient eased to 1 in 300
through the platforms.
At Branksome the S&D has its own engine shed, located
inside the triangle formed by the Bournemouth West to Bournemouth Central,
Bournemouth to Poole, and Bournemouth Central to Branksome lines. During the
Second World War this shed was temporarily closed, and S&D engines used the
S.R. shed at Bournemouth Central. The Branksome shed was later reopened as a
subsidiary of Templecombe.
Copyright © Kevin Clapcott
Most recent revision Friday August 10, 2007