ROLLING STOCK

WAGONS & BRAKE VANS


The detailed documentation of the S&D's goods stock has been neglected over the years and this makes the subject difficult to research. However, I am slowly putting together details of some of the known examples of stock constructed at the Highbridge Works.

My thanks to Russell Garner for his assistance with this section.

Below are just a few examples of S&D wagon stock.

 

Number 1
Engineers Brake Van No.1

4 wheel Engineers Ballast Brake Van.
Tare 10t. 2cwt. Built 1904.

Belonging to the S&DJR Engineers Dept, being possibly the least used and cleanest brake van on the line! It was painted red oxide with black iron work and white lettering, being kept at the Engineers Department headquarters at Glastonbury.
The van was fitted out to carry workmen whilst carrying out track work, being open at the rear and fitted with windows all round.

Number 6
Goods Brake Van No.6

6 wheel Goods Brake Van No.6 (Mail Van).
20t. 5cwt. Built 1890.
(This vehicle replaced the previous No.6 - a 4 wheel 10t van withdrawn in 1890)

These were typically used by the Royal Mail on the 2.40am mail/goods train from Bath to Bournemouth.
These were actually built by the carriage bodymakers and close observation would have revealed doors fitted with carriage locks and windows, also inside oil lamps were built in to the roof section.
There were cast iron slabs fitted to the underside of the van to make up the weight required for a brake van.
The hand operated brake gear operated to front and rear of all 6 wheels.

Number 34
Goods Brake Van no.34

4 wheel Goods Brake Van No.34.
10t. 12cwt. Built 1886.

The underframe was made of oak, or similar hardwood, the bodyframe of ash with matchboard top and side panels with a pine floor. The roof was covered with glued on canvas.
All the iron and metal work, including the boiler, were built on site at Highbridge although the wheels/tyres and axles were built by the Midland Railway or specialist contractors.
The construction of all these parts was carried out by the wagon builders.

wag_71.jpg (10221 bytes)
Bolster Wagon No.71

Double Bolster Wagon No.71.
Tare 6t. 14cwt. - Load 10t. - Built around 1904.

Fitted with spring draw and buffing gear with oil axle boxes.


5 Plank Wagon No.141

4 wheel 5 plank High Sided Wagon No.141.
Tare 4t. 19cwt. - Load 8t. - Built 1889.

These wagons were used for transporting such items as sacks of grain and other feed stuffs, barrels of beer, bricks and tiles, or any load requiring cover in transit but not the requirements of a covered box wagon.
Brake gear was originally fitted to just one side, this was later duplicated on the other side.
Picture taken in 1904.

Number 197
Special Brake Wagon No.197

4 wheel Goods Brake Van No.197.
7t. 11cwt. - Built 1889.

Built in 1889 specially to pass under the low 'Marble Arch' bridge at Radstock and used on trips from Radstock goods yard and sidings to Writhlington, Braysdown and Clandown
The brake standard, wheel and handle were located in the open part of the wagon.
The picture was taken at Radstock (1905?)

Number 641
Carriage Truck No.641

4 wheel Carriage Truck No. 641.
Tare 5t. 12cwt. - Load 10t.

Used for transporting road vehicles such as carts, farm wagons, horse carriages. They were also used to transport steam powered road rollers. The vehicles would be loaded from the ends.
Fitted with cast iron brake blocks.

wag_689.jpg (10585 bytes)
Low Sided Wagon No.689

4 wheel 2 plank Low Sided Wagon.
Tare 4t. 15cwt. - Load 6t(?). - Built pre 1899

The wagon was built with no doors, having individually sprung buffers, grease axle boxes and just the one wooden brake block being operated by a lever fitted to the vehicles underframe.

Number 741
Road Van No.741

4 wheel 10 plank Road Van No. 741.
Tare 5t. 9cwt. - Load 8t. - Built 1893/4

These Road Vans, often called Road Boxes carried anything from parcels to cheese, salt, flour, ironmongery, or any load requiring weather protection.

Number 1203
Meat Van No.1203

4 wheel Ventilated Meat Van No.1203.
Tare 7t. 1cwt. - Load 10t. - Built 1902/3

Insect proof covers of very finely perforated zinc were fitted inside the van, these only allowed air to pass through.
Fitted to the inside were burnished rods carrying burnished steel hooks for hanging sides of beef, pork, mutton etc. They were also used to transport cheese.
The wheels have 'v' shaped spokes and is fitted with oil lubricated axle boxes. Brakes were only fitted to one side. 10 of these vans were built between 1902 and 1903, with 2 more being converted between 1914 and 1922.

Number 1242
Engineers Dept Wagon No.1242

4 wheel Single Plank Dropside Wagon No.1242.
Tare 8t. 7cwt. - Load 12t. - Built 1903.

Used by the Engineers Department.

 

Copyright © Kevin Clapcott
Most recent revision Friday August 10, 2007